Coaches: If you did not receive the e-mail with information about WSWCA Academic All-State Wrestlers, contact Todd Slatter for the info.
Each nominee must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Junior or Senior
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Winning Varsity Record
- Must be entered into your District or Sub-Regional Tournament
Please do not nominate athletes if they don’t meet the above criteria.
A form must be submitted for each nominee. Forms must be submitted by Monday, February 6th by 6pm to be eligible for this award.
Coach of the Year and other WSWCA Awards will hold nominations at the Sub-Regional level again this year. Nominations from the tournament director (or designee) are due by Wednesday, February 8 at 8 am. Directions are being sent to the tournament directors through the regional tournaments.
WSWCA Awards that will be nominated at Sub-Regionals
- Coach of the Year
- Assistant Coach of the Year
- Middle School Coach of the Year
- Wrestler of the Year
- Media Person to be Recognized
We have received questions on the new coach of the year procedure. These are the most common
1) Will there now be no regional coach of the year since districts/sub-regions are submitting COY information now?
- No, there will not be a Regional Coach of the year. In the previous format WSWCA members in some regions were not being allowed to vote and coaches that are non-members were being allowed to vote. We also had many complaints from regions that the dominating districts only voted for their candidate and others never had a chance of being recognized due to size of district.
2) Will coaches need their WSWCA card number to vote?
- Yes, in order to vote you will need to have a current coaches card as this is a WSWCA coaches award presented by the WSWCA.
3) Will coaches be voting on all classifications or just the one they coach in?
- Coaches will be only voting on the classification they are coaching in.
4) Who will receive certificates from the WSWCA?
- All coaches and wrestlers nominated will receive a certificate. 1 Head coach, 1 Asst. Coach, and 1 wrestler from each classification will be recognized as overall winner.
- All media people will be given a certificate
Graham Baker Morin Memorial Scholarship
sponsored by the Washington State Wrestling Coaches Association
What is the WSWCA/Graham Baker Morin Memorial Scholarship?
The Washington State Wrestling Coaches Association (WSWCA) and the family of Graham Baker Morin, a former three time Washington State High School Wrestling Champion and two time All-American, are jointly creating a scholarship to reward and assist Washington scholar athletes who plan to continue wrestling in college. This scholarship is intended to provide an incentive to scholar athletes to exhibit leadership, sportsmanship, and academic success. This scholarship program is administered by Scholarship America, a national non-profit educational support and student aid service organization. The primary award is a $5,000 scholarship awarded over 2 years ($2500 each year). Our goal is to award additional scholarships as ongoing fundraising permits. A new scholarship started in 2010 for community college programs in Washington (currently Highline CC and Yakima Valley CC) will be awarded at $500 each school.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be high school seniors who are:
- U.S. citizens
- Residents of the State of Washington
- Good students with a minimum 3.0 grade point average
- Participants in the Washington High School State Wrestling Tournament (Mat Classic)
- Planning to enroll and wrestle in college
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Interested scholar/athletes must submit a completed application postmarked no later than March 31st of their senior year. Applications are available online at the WSWCA website. The following must be included with the application:
- Current, complete official transcript of high school grades
- Applicant essay on applicant’s demonstration of leadership, scholastic and sportsmanship qualities
- Minimum of three reference letters (coach, freestyle coach, teacher, teammates, other)
- Wrestling / Athletic Accomplishments (one-page summary sheet)
What criteria is used for the selection of the recipients?
Scholarship recipient(s) are selected on the basis of:
- Academic record
- Demonstrated leadership and sportsmanship in school and in wrestling
- Wrestling experiences
- Participation in school and community activities
- Statement of educational and career goals
- Outside Appraisal