Graham Baker Morin Memorial Scholarship
sponsored by the Washington State Wrestling Coaches Association
What is the WSWCA/Graham Baker Morin Memorial Scholarship?
The Washington State Wrestling Coaches Association (WSWCA) and the family of Graham Baker Morin, a former three time Washington State High School Wrestling Champion and two time All-American, are jointly creating a scholarship to reward and assist Washington scholar athletes who plan to continue wrestling in college. This scholarship is intended to provide an incentive to scholar athletes to exhibit leadership, sportsmanship, and academic success. This scholarship program is administered by Scholarship America, a national non-profit educational support and student aid service organization. The primary award is a $5,000 scholarship awarded over 2 years ($2500 each year). Our goal is to award additional scholarships as ongoing fundraising permits. A new scholarship started in 2010 for community college programs in Washington (currently Highline CC and Yakima Valley CC) will be awarded at $500 each school.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be high school seniors who are:
- U.S. citizens
- Residents of the State of Washington
- Good students with a minimum 3.0 grade point average
- Participants in the Washington High School State Wrestling Tournament (Mat Classic)
- Planning to enroll and wrestle in college
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Interested scholar/athletes must submit a completed application postmarked no later than March 31st of their senior year. Applications are available online at the WSWCA website. The following must be included with the application:
- Current, complete official transcript of high school grades
- Applicant essay on applicant’s demonstration of leadership, scholastic and sportsmanship qualities
- Minimum of three reference letters (coach, freestyle coach, teacher, teammates, other)
- Wrestling / Athletic Accomplishments (one-page summary sheet)
What criteria is used for the selection of the recipients?
Scholarship recipient(s) are selected on the basis of:
- Academic record
- Demonstrated leadership and sportsmanship in school and in wrestling
- Wrestling experiences
- Participation in school and community activities
- Statement of educational and career goals
- Outside Appraisal