Coaches: If you did not receive the e-mail with information about WSWCA Academic All-State Wrestlers, contact Todd Slatter for the info.
Each nominee must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Junior or Senior
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Winning Varsity Record
- Must be entered into your District or Sub-Regional Tournament
Please do not nominate athletes if they don’t meet the above criteria.
A form must be submitted for each nominee. Forms must be submitted by Monday, February 6th by 6pm to be eligible for this award.
Coach of the Year and other WSWCA Awards will hold nominations at the Sub-Regional level again this year. Nominations from the tournament director (or designee) are due by Wednesday, February 8 at 8 am. Directions are being sent to the tournament directors through the regional tournaments.
WSWCA Awards that will be nominated at Sub-Regionals
- Coach of the Year
- Assistant Coach of the Year
- Middle School Coach of the Year
- Wrestler of the Year
- Media Person to be Recognized
We have received questions on the new coach of the year procedure. These are the most common
1) Will there now be no regional coach of the year since districts/sub-regions are submitting COY information now?
- No, there will not be a Regional Coach of the year. In the previous format WSWCA members in some regions were not being allowed to vote and coaches that are non-members were being allowed to vote. We also had many complaints from regions that the dominating districts only voted for their candidate and others never had a chance of being recognized due to size of district.
2) Will coaches need their WSWCA card number to vote?
- Yes, in order to vote you will need to have a current coaches card as this is a WSWCA coaches award presented by the WSWCA.
3) Will coaches be voting on all classifications or just the one they coach in?
- Coaches will be only voting on the classification they are coaching in.
4) Who will receive certificates from the WSWCA?
- All coaches and wrestlers nominated will receive a certificate. 1 Head coach, 1 Asst. Coach, and 1 wrestler from each classification will be recognized as overall winner.
- All media people will be given a certificate